Summer programs in Spain-Spanish Studies in the Arts, Language, History and Culture
Everything you can imagine is real.”Pablo Picasso
Dates (Some flexibility with dates is possible, please ask our staff)
2 week option July 3 - 17
Full Program:3,5 week option July 3- 27
Paris (optional extension)
July 27 - 30
Promotional FEES (Nov 1)
$4,345$3,945 (2 weeks)
$7,095$6,495 (3.5 weeks)
(+$985 optional extension to Paris)
Grades 9-12, no language prerequisite
Figueres, Sitges and more!
Paris, July 31 - August 4
Join our Abbey Road family in Barcelona for a summer of your lifetime! Barcelona is a city of youth, excitement, art and fashion, a city that has incredible energy, style and a fast-paced lifestyle. It’s a city of Gaudi and Miro, home of the legendary FC Barcelona soccer club, with its delicious seafood, evening concerts and sandy beaches, popular with visitors from all over the world.
read full story
What made you decide to look into study abroad this summer? What drew you to Abbey Road? I knew I wanted to do something, but I wasn’t sure if I was going to be allowed to study abroad. I spoke about it with my parents and after some thorough research we thought that Abbey Road was perfect for me. They let me go and I’m so happy that I did it! There were five programs that we found, but we felt that Abbey Road would be the best. We didn’t want it to be the typical teen tour. I was going to be a senior in high school and I wanted to ...
In Barcelona you will live in modern, upscale student apartments, a 10 min walk from the popular beaches of Barceloneta and right around the corner from a popular local plaza. Here are some highlights:
- Live in your own private studio with a private bathroom, AC and fast-speed Internet
- Spend time by the rooftop pool or in our own private gym
- Enjoy fresh authentic food prepared by our culinary staff and local chefs
- Learn in a fun, interactive way, outside of the classroom (hence our Experiential Learning Method!)
- Be a savvy, sophisticated traveler. Go above and beyond the standard tourist checklist!
- Meet young people from Barcelona and make new friends from all over the world
- Option to receive college credit, studying with our local partner institutions
- Included trips to Figueres, Montserrat, Tarragona, Girona, Cadaques and Tossa de Mar
- All inclusive 3.5 week session
- Option to go on a travel extension to Paris!
- Pre-Summer Language Courses and Tutoring Online (get an early start on practicing your Spanish!)
Our culinary staff will buy daily fresh food for breakfast and lunch from the local markets and shops. Some evenings our staff and students will make delicious meals together, armed with fresh ingredients and our own Spanish & Catalonian recipe book. These culinary adventures quickly become a favorite bonding and cultural activity among our students and staff. We will also enjoy authentic local cuisine during outings to local restaurants.
Our staff will provide you with daily groceries (bread, pasta, cereal, water, olive oil, etc.) and house supplies. If you need more food or house supplies – just tell us. We will get them for you.
You will live in upscale, comfortable student studio-apartments, in the very center of the city, near the popular El Born neighborhood. Each student will have a private bedroom and a private bathroom, the kitchens are shared with one other student next door. Our staff members live in their own studios down the hall.
You will be part of our Abbey Road family, making new friends, learning to be independent and self-reliant, to share responsibilities with your peers, manage your time, and getting ready for college years!
Every student on the program chooses two classes as their academic focus in Barcelona: a major and an elective. Major classes meet every morning Monday to Friday, while electives meet three afternoons a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Major: Spanish Language
Electives and Workshops: Art History, Photography, Spanish Conversation, Fashion Design, SAT Prep, Spanish Cinema, Spanish Cuisine, Soccer
This frees up two afternoons per week for you to attend the many workshops, excursions and fun activities, such as kayaking or sailing at the local beaches, visiting museums, practicing your Spanish with the locals, and so on. We will always give you at least two to three options to choose from just to make sure there is something for everyone.
Some of our students’ favorites are:
- parasailing over the beaches of Barceloneta
- admiring Gaudi’s masterpieces at Casa Batllo and Casa Mila
- tapas tasting in the fashionable El Born district
- Spanish conversation over coffee and churros
- sushi night by the Arc de Triomf
- dance night with the local youth
- outdoor soccer match in Park Ciutadel
- flamenco dance workshop with local experts
- paying tribute to the local soccer shrine, the FC Barcelona museum
- enjoying a fun ride and in incredible view at the popular Tibidado park
- shopping at the outdoor market in spectacular Plaza Real
- Magic Fountain show at Plaza Espagna
- picnic in Gaudi’s Park Guell
If you were there...
Spanish class at Santa Caterina Market
Yoga in the park
Photo class Boqueria Market
Art History and Architecture at Sagrada Familia
Hiking in Montserrat
Afternoon at Park Güell
Weekend Day Trips
In addition to all the local sites in Barcelona, we will help you discover many more amazing sites in Catalonia.
Some of the students’ favorites include:
- sailing and beach volleyball in Cadaques and Tossa de Mar
- an excursion to Dali’s museum in Figueres
- reliving Roman history in Tarragona
- discovering the awe-inspiring peaks of Montserrat and its Benedictine abbey
- a trip to Girona, with its beautiful architecture and rich Jewish heritage
Catalan Dancing Festival
Group visits Girona Cathedral
FC Barcelona Stadium Tour
FC Barcelona Stadium Tour
Class at the market
Free time in Barcelona
Spanish class at the market
Group cooking workshop
Optional Travel Extension – Paris -
Ah, Paris! The city of lights! Delicious food, fantastic art, amazing architecture, the list goes on and on. A four-day visit to Paris is the perfect way to complete an Abbey Road adventure in France. Our exciting itinerary includes both guided visits to museums and historical sites and time for you to discover the city’s famous neighborhoods. Sure we will show you the Louvre, the Musée d’Orsay, the Centre Pompidou, Notre Dame Cathedral and the Eiffel Tower, among others, but you will also be free (within our safety guidelines) to enjoy the city’s famous café scene and shopping districts with your good friends in tow. Who knows, you just might even take a dinner cruise on the river Seine!